Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Low Carb eating

So now that I have transitioned more to low carb eating, I have to say it isn't as hard as I thought! The first few weeks were HARD HARD HARD!!! Getting all that junk out of my system. Now I know that people will say "You need carbs for energy" which is true. I am not doing low carb just for weight loss....It is the diet I was always supposed to have as a post gastric bypass patient....

You are allowed to have some carbs a few times per week just to help things move if you catch my drift. In which case I stick to non trigger foods like oatmeal, oat bran, high fiber cereal etc. I add it to my protein shake or eat only about 1/4-1/2 cup per serving. I do also eat some fruit. About 1 serving total a day. Having bread or pasta for me is a trigger, meaning I want to eat a lot of it!!! Crackers, chips, popcorn, etc. are all trigger foods for me:(

Anyhow here is how I cook for my family and myself without having to make separate meals.

Mexican Food
Sub out the tortilla for lettuce wraps, salad bed, or just plain. I made enchiladas, and just left out some filling for me. I topped the chicken with Sauce, cheese, green onions and a few black olives. I felt happy with that because I got all the same flavors. Served with a side of oven baked broccoli (so good) and it was great! I may add low carb tortillas when I reach maintenance


Pasta
Use spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or Shirataki noodles or again just plain.
For Pizza you can pound out a chicken breast and top it like you would a pizza. You can also use a Portabello mushroom cap or a Half a Pepper too!

Rice-
I make cauliflower rice. Grate a head of cauliflower and put in a pan with pam or a little oil. Cook until not crunchy...Best in stir-fry, or ethnic food.


Chips, Crackers, etc.
I use carrot chips (carrots that are sliced round I find them at Walmart), Zucchini chips, cucumber chips or celery to Dip with. You can flavor Greek yogurt with Ranch, green onion, or onion soup mix. Good fast lunch. I also mix cottage cheese or deli meat with salsa to dip with Veggies.

Salty Cravings
Nuts, Beef Jerky, and String cheese! Love these to fix my salty cravings!

Sugary Cravings
Yogurt (I love carbmaster found at Smiths, Ralphs, Kroger), Fruit, Sweet Nuts, Trail Mix, Protein Shake, Protein bar (I like Luna Protein bars in Chocolate flavor) and GUM (I like extra dessert flavors)

Breakfast
It can get old to eat eggs or a protein shake every day. I find lots of recipes and rotate them so I don't get bored.
Eggs-egg muffins, scrambled, egg in the hole made with green peppers instead of bread, frittata, omelets, etc. Just mix up the ingredients and you will be fine. I also serve it with turkey sausage, low sodium ham, or center cut bacon. yummmm
Shakes-Raspberry Cheesecake, German Chocolate, Cake Batter, Frozen Hot Chocolate, Chocolate peanut butter banana, Butterfinger, and Caribbean Cooler are some favorites of mine. Mix it up keep it fresh and rotate!

Liquids
People are always suprized that I haven't drank soda in almost ten years. (one of the rules I did stick to post surgery:)) It is true I went from drinking probably about 90 ounces of Diet Coke a day to NADA! So WHAT do I drink?
WATER!!! Silly but true. I flavor it with crystal lite packets sometimes, lemon, lime, oranges, cucumber, etc. I also drink decaf and herbal tea at night. For a treat I drink sobe life water or propel.
I use lactaid, or almond milk in smoothies and cereal.

It can be done. It is HARD at first and you may yell at people and be onrey for a few weeks. It gets easier I swear!!!

No comments: