Thursday, June 27, 2013

Quality of Life

I was having a discussion with someone the other day. We were discussing health and eating. It was brought up that 1 in 2 people will have cancer in their lives. At first this thought was scary. Then I thought about it more.

We came to this earth and were told we would suffer sickness and disease. We know within our lifetime we will be sick at some point. I believe everyone will get something, and of course we will all die at some point.

Not everyone who smokes gets lung cancer. Not everyone who is fat gets heart disease.

I know people who have exercised and eaten right their whole lives and then die of cancer. I also know people who neglected their health and ate unhealthy and lived well into their eighties.

I don't think diet and exercise is the end all, be all.

I think it is all about your quality of life that should motivate you to take care of your body. For me,  I was not living the quality of life I wanted. I was tired, unmotivated, self-loathing, depressed etc. Satan is jealous that we have a body, and does all he can to make us not take care and cherish our own.

At the time I had my gastric bypass, I didn't have huge health problems. I was probably well on my way to some, but I was generally in good health. I knew I would have a much richer life full of more opportunities if I lost weight and surgery at the time seemed the only option.

I think if you are overweight and happy and have energy to live a full life, then stay that way.

Most importantly to me was that I was out of tune with my Heavenly Father because I was so tuned in to my addiction to food. If my thoughts were consumed with food and my body, How could I hear the spirit?

I am now able to have a clear mind and heart. I have energy to be the lord's hands. I can be my best self. I am able to listen and play with my children.

I am not perfect and still have a long way to go, but I am more at peace then ever before.

I want a quality happy life. I know at some point I will be sick with something and die. Or maybe I will have a fatal accident.

I want to know I had set a good example, taught my children well, loved and served others, walked my talk, and lived life to the fullest.

I think most important is to be in tune with your spirit and your body. While I believe in the Word of Wisdom and know eating a diet rich in fruits and veggies is so important, I think finding what works for your body is important too.

Some people thrive on a diet of meat and potatoes while others do better not eating meat. It is what speaks to your spirit and makes you be able to do your best work with whatever time you are given.

Ultimately, God is in control, he loves us, is aware of us, and has a marvelous life planned for us if we will just listen and follow him.

No comments: